Originally built in 1974, the vessel measures 320 feet (98 meters) in length, has a beam of 68 feet (21 meters), a draft of 7 feet (2.1 meters), and a maximum capacity for 100 cars and 800 passengers.
The MV New Jersey is powered by two Electro-Motive Division (EMD) electric diesel engines and can reach a top speed of 16 knots.
- 1996: Outdoor canopy added to third deck.
- 1999: Finishes and seating were upgraded in the interior passenger lounge.
- 2013: Carpeting and seating were replaced and upgraded in the main passenger lounge.
- 2020: Underwent extensive renovations including the following
- Replaced the original Fairbanks Morse 38D8-1/8 diesel engines with new electric diesel engines
- Replaced steel bulkheads
- Stripped and repainted the entire exterior of the vessel
- Replaced all exterior windows
- Fabricated new smokestacks
- Modernized the passenger galley
- IMO: 8643078
- MMSI: 366914190
- Callsign: WYU8550
- Number of rafts: 4
- Number of lifeboats: 2